RCtv: “Louis Cyr” with Antoine Bertrand
Celebrate the 10th anniversary of Louis Cyr with Antoine Bertrand
Watch the film Louis Cyr for FREE with your students, then on December 13, meet the star, Antoine Bertrand, for an interactive virtual discussion.
There are three simple steps:
- Watch Louis Cyr with your class between November 29 and December 12
- Join the discussion on December 13 (see time below)
- Ask questions through our online platform
The programme also includes lesson plans, extension activities, and access to the film – all completely FREE OF CHARGE!
Can’t make the date? You can still watch an interactive recording any time afterwards.
- Explore themes of francophone identity, diversity, history and cultural icons
- Suitable for Secondary 1 to 5 / Grades 7 to 12
- Designed for native French speakers and FSL students who can participate in an abstract conversation in French
- An English-subtitled version of the programme will be available after airing, for FSL beginners and Anglophones
about the guests
Star of Louis Cyr
Antoine Bertrand rose to fame in 2003 for his role in the popular TV series Les Bougon. Since then, he has won numerous awards for his TV work, appearing in C.A., Boomerang and Les Pays d’en haut, and co-hosting Les enfants de la télé. Bertrand also works extensively in film, with key roles in Starbuck, Votez Bougon!, Menteur (Compulsive Liar), Au revoir le bonheur (Goodbye Happiness), and Louis Cyr: l’homme le plus fort du monde, which earned him the Jutra Award for Best Actor.
photo ©️ Jocelyn Michel
Marie-Louise Arsenault is a journalist, host, designer and director. In 2011, she created the daily program Plus on est de fous, plus on lit, which she has hosted with gusto for 11 years. Since 2022, she has been hosting Tout peut arriver every Saturday from 4 to 7 p.m. on Radio-Canada’s Première Chaîne radio. She is also the host of Dans les médias every week on Télé-Québec.
About the Film
In the late 19th century, after years of delighting crowds with astounding feats of strength, Louis Cyr (Antoine Bertrand) was considered the strongest man in the world. In this charming biopic, his best friend recounts the story to the strongman’s estranged daughter — from Louis’ poverty-stricken childhood through the ups and downs of his circus career — and shares with us the fascinating life of this Quebec hero. The film won nine Jutra awards, and was the most popular film of that year.